I’m writing this on my last weekday as a Funemployed person. So, naturally I’m doing it in a coffee shop.
Day 4 — yesterday — was lovely. I started the morning as I usually do lately: consumed by my allergies. But I tore myself out of bed to meet C at the new NPR building — his office — over in NoMA. After lunch and a tour (the office is shiny and new and pretty, y’all — or as C would say “trendy”), I started my walk home. Desperately in need of a little wake-up call, I stopped at Big Bear Cafe on the way. I’ve heard about this place forever, but have never made it over there. The staff is friendly, the outdoor patio is inviting, and the iced vanilla latte is delicious.
I then went home for a couple hours (to watch Homeland, obviously) before heading over to C’s for some beers on the porch. Then it was off to Sara Bareilles at the 930 Club! The show was good, y’all. Like, real good. She’s obviously a great singer, but the gal has a sense of humor and sarcasm that is rivaled only by yours truly …JK LOL NOT JK. But seriously, see her LIVE! if you can.
Aside from Sara’s singing and joke-slinging, the night was also memorable because two fabulous guys got engaged on stage. The crowd was on their feet. And of course he said yes!
Today — Day 5 — has been a little more uneventful… SO FAR. I’m sitting in a coffee shop now doing a little reading for the new job, which starts bright and early Monday morning.
I tried to convince my body to sleep in — IT’S MY LAST CHANCE, AFTER ALL — but alas, I was up at 8:30 a.m. I’m having lunch at the lovely U Street Cafe right now (they know my name you guys!), and the rest of my afternoon will be spent reading before I meet up with K at 5 p.m. to start the weekend with a couple of cocktails. But it’s not just any other old weekend. IT’S K’S BACHELORETTE WEEKEND, Y’ALL. I’m so happy that I get to spend my weekend saying goodbye to Funemployment by helping K say goodbye to her single gal days. She and future Mr. K are such a great pair; I’m so happy for her. I won’t/can’t say much about this weekend, as K reads this here little bloggy, but rest assured it will be fun (read: drunk). I’ll update y’all on Sunday. With lots of pitchures.
Sometimes I feel like my posts are just like “Hey! Here’s what I did today…”, which considering what a jet-set life I lead, I know is like, totally super interesting for you all to read. But in case you were looking to know a little bit more about me as a human, outside of my jam-packed schedule, here’s some other random info from the last few days.
1. I FINISHED HOMELAND. You guys. You guys. Seriously. Watch this show. But make sure you either a) watch it with someone or b) have a best friend on the West Coast who has already seen it and who is available to indulge your 3 a.m. EST text messages being all like ‘THIS SHIT IS CRAY.” (ALL CAPS NECESSARY.) Also, considering how many shows Funemployment has allowed me to get hooked on, I can confirm this is the most accurate thing I’ve read on the Internet in a long while… http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelhorner/the-27-stages-of-getting-addicted-to-a-television-show … Thanks to aforementioned BFF M for this gem.
2. If you’re looking for a happy little summer ditty, try Ben Rector’s “The Beat.” I can’t stop listening to it. I was walking around in the sunshine smiling to myself this morning as it was dancing through my headphones. Yep, I was THAT girl. I think in the last few days I have listened to approximately four songs on repeat (what are blogs for if not embarrassing admissions like this?).
- Next to Me by Emilie Sandé
- Come & Get It by Selena Gomez (seriously, f’real, thanks a lot, H)
- The Beat by Ben Rector
- Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
3. Hokay, this is actually some big news I’m sorry I haven’t mentioned here before. So at the moment I live in a huge rowhouse with 4 other roommates. This sounds like a lot o’ people, but we’re all friends and it’s been such a great home for the last two years. Sadly, but understandably with all the new construction around, our landlords have decided to make themselves bookoo bucks by selling our house to presumably the highest bidder. And they want us out by May 31st. Eeks. H and I have decided it would be fun to continue living with each other, and saw a 2-bedroom house recently we both fell in love with. Well, turns out the landlord loved us right back, and yesterday we got a note saying we got the house! We move in June 1! The house has a great outdoor back patio, so for those of you in the DeeSee area, expect a little partita invite soon! Or, just come on ovah.
Okay. Phew. This was a long post. Amazing that things never change: Having to do real work / reading brings me straight back to my procrastinating roots. Hope y’all are out enjoying the sunshine (assuming there’s some in your neck of the woods), or plan to this weekend.